Saturday, March 2, 2019

Retired and Re-calibrating

I left Verizon at the end of 2018 and relocated to the Sun Coast of Florida from Northern California. Not only does the balmy climate take some getting used to, but the actual practice of retiring for me also requires some acclimation. I'd heard two generic guidelines from other retired folks; there's so much to do that nothing gets done; or alternatively one needs something to keep oneself occupied to provide a purpose for the second or third act of life. I'm working in both of those directions but measuring progress is not easy. Without a boss and senior leaders setting objectives and demanding deliverable work on tight timelines I have to create, monitor and measure my own goals and achievements. I no longer have a great team of energetic and creative people to help me out for the things I want to accomplish. I'm quickly realizing all of my weaknesses or skills that I let go to seed as I managed people who were more talented than me. It's fun re-calibrating, and I seem to have plenty of people who are interested and willing to help me through the process. I'm still engaged with startup companies and communities but also figuring out the startup of me. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment